Monday, April 18, 2011

Sundays are meant for this....

Date Entered Into Journal: March 27, 2011

We woke up this morning at 0600am.  I won't tell you what the 0 stands for!  We were gently awaken by worship music playing in the living room, which was a great way to start a Sunday!  It was fun to get dressed for church in sundresses and sandles- as it is still winter at home!  It was kinda wierd to do my personal devotions in a room full of people, however, it was still nice to be able to do it with worship music and the warm sun shinning on me.  Coffee sure tastes different...  it's so much better than Starbucks, and it was soothing to me!  After breakfast of eggs and spam with fresh fruit salad containing mangoes, bananas, pineapple, papya there was lots of free time. (I know it sounds like a horrible meal, however, it tasted so good!) I used this time to think about where I was and about my patient back home- praying for his strength and an opportunity to share with him once I returned home.  I also had moments of feeling really down and pensive due to not feeling like I belonged on the team.  Everyone seemed to know each other so well, and all seemed so close.  I never know how to handle that  other than to pray and make myself more extroverted. 

We went to church at a "Baptist" church that is attached to a seminary school.  Found out that because it was founded by a Baptist Missionary, it took on the Baptist name.  We met an American Missionary who had served in France for 35 years prior and is now teaching for two weeks at the Seminary.  I remember my own Bible College/Seminary days when we had visiting professors... and how they were a blessing to us.  I pray that the students in Jacmel are as blessed by his presence.  The church is a building with doors, windows and roof .  The walls are made out of stucco, and a tin roof.  Lights and fans were going, and it helped with the humidity.  I am able to recognixe the worship music and  able to sing along, especially when Pastor Zamore sang in english!  When I sang, I attempted to do it in Creole, not well, but at least I attempted it.  Romans 12 was the sermon and it brought me to tears to hear the entire congregation read the work of God together in unison. We saw and participated in a baby and child dedication. I caught a few works in French as well.  Psalm 119.9 was hand written in black on a white poster on hung the wall.   The Haitian women and men really dress up!  It was hot! and they wre in hats, suits, Sunday best clothing that we would wear to a wedding or a formal event, with lots of accessories and jewelry! (Jewelry is an export of  Haiti and what they sell to the tourists)  Pastor Zamore is one of the associate Pastors at that church and is one of the Calvary Chapel Haiti Innitative's Evangelism Outreach Pastors.  We will be seeing more of him on Tuesday.  The Haitians really enjoy worshipping our Lord, they are very emotional in their worship.

I am getting used to riding in teh back of pick up trucks!

Lunch was delicious- tuna salad sandwiches!!  It is one of the daily chores to make lunches, which Kirsten and Julia do so well and with much love and attention.
A surprise was that the quick favorite snack food was JellyBelly Jellybeans.  Bless the person that thought of those!  They were a big bonding item, we all have our faorite flavors and strong dislikes- and what one did not l ike, there was another that did!  And the subject of many games!

Beachtime this afternoon!  It was undescribly beautiful! Palm trees with coconuts, trees heavy with plantains and bananas, mango trees with almost ripe mangoes all mainly by the beach.  The water is blue green with the white surf.  The sand is a little golden with some white sand.  Rolling with strong waves and getting knocked down by them was a blessing- as I had forgotten my netti pot, I was given a natural one by the waves!  It was a great afternoon of swimming, playing soccer with the boys and some Haitian children on the beach, and a time of relaxing.  The CCHI provided sodas for us at the beach, which was a really nice touch- Sprite and Cokes.  It was bottled in Port Au Prince, as it was its own flavor, just like how Canadian and American pops are slightly different.  There were a few Haitians there to sell us their artwork and jewelery.  They can be pushy to make a sell, creative in their artwork and in the way that they are selling, and you really have to bargain.  There were so many beautiful carvings, paintings, necklaces, bracelets, hats to choose from.

Crime rate in Jacmel is really low.  Crime, when it does happen, is that of opportunistic.  If you leave something unattended, it will go missing.

Our team house is a true gift from God.  2 levels, balcony, private rooms for the staff, 2 large bedrooms for teams, a gigantic sunken living room which also doubles as our dining room and open kitchen and three bathrooms.
Our schedule continues after  supper meals: to do chores, group devotions that we dubbed as share and care.  Then free time before 1030pm lights out.  It is mandatory quiet time from 1030 to 0630am.  We have a cook, laundry helper, groundskeeper, all whom are Haitian, and beautiful inside and out.

The ladies of the team serve each other meals.  It is really unique to see the men being served before the women.  I was raised to serve the eldest to the youngest, and that is how I do it... however, I guess it must be a Romanian thing, as everyone reacted when I did that.

I feel so unprepared for tomorrow.  I really hope just now that I don't have give my testimonry- it needs so much work.  I'm not ashamed to share, I just don't know how to say it all, what to include and what to exclude. 

AMI, is the female full time missionary, who is from Fort Lauderdale, FL.  She is tall and beautiful.  She is so helpful and knowledgeable for someone only being here for less than three months.She is the one that updates facebook and shares the work that goes on down here.

 I love how the CCHI involve the Haitian Christians in serving their own.

SAM- is the full time male missionary also from Fort Lauderdale.  He speakes french, Creole.  His heart is so big for the Haitian people- you see the love while he interacts with the people and especially the children.
Super tonight is baked ziti pasta with garlic bread.

No matter what feeling come up, I am here to serve and to be used of God.  Emotions can't be reliable, Satan can attack through that.  I will be strong and try to fall deeper in love with my Lord and the people here I am to serve.  If I can serve my team, the missionaries here, then I will be successful!

Tonight I will be falling alseep to sounds of frogs, goats, puppy dogs while I ponder the natural beauty of the country Haiti and its people.

No comments: